Sometimes, especially in wintertime, one doesn’t want anything fancy, but just something simple and good to have along with a cup of tea or coffee. From this idea I offer you a spiced bundt cake. Here in Finland bundt cakes are quite common. They are called kuivakakku, that literally means “dry cake”, and this is the part I don’t like about them. I made my version of it, adding some moistness in it, which really makes the difference.
This bundt cake is nicely spiced, but still not too aggressive in taste. The main spice is bitter orange powder, something you commonly find in Finnish stores. If it is not available where you live, substitute it with fresh orange zest and reduce the sugar amount of 20 g. For the cloves, if you don’t have clove powder, do like me; I had just entire ones, so I ground them with a mortar.
- 200g melted butter + a knob for buttering the pan
- 200g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 200 g sour cream
- 200 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp sour orange powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp of clove powder (or 8 ground cloves)
- 50 g powder sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- Put the melted butter and the sugar in a big bowl and mix with a whisk.
- Add the eggs and the sour cream and continue to mix.
- In a separate bowl, add all the dry ingredients (that is, spices, soda and flour), mix them together and add them gradually to the other bowl.
- Butter a bundt pan and pour the dough into the pan.
- Bake at 180° C for 35 minutes (to be sure, try with a toothpick to be sure that the cake is ready: if the toothpick will come out without any dough attached to it, the cake is ready).
- Let the cake cool down in the pan, remove from the pan and eventually level out the bottom of the cake in case it's not even.
- To decorate, make a white icing by mixing the powder sugar and the water and pour onto the bundt cake.
Linen towel, Son de Flor | Linen dress, Lisje Liholesje | Ceramics, Broste Copenhagen
A special thanks goes to Klaus for the marvelous photos he took! It is great to work together as a team ♡♡♡