This is one of those recipes that might sound boring, but it really is not. I created my own version of chocolate chip cookies when I was maybe 13. I’ve made them so many times, that I really know the recipe by heart and I don’t even weigh the ingredients anymore. They cook super quickly and I might end up making them when I am craving something sweet and have nothing of that kind at home. The first time I made them to Klaus he was truly amazed by their soft structure and full taste.
The two secret ingredients are raisins and a sparkle of lemon zest and now you might wonder how do those ingredients would fit well in a chocolate chip cookies, but there’s a logical explanation to it. The raisins give volume and softness to the cookies, while the lemon zest gives a fresh aftertaste. Believe me, try these cookies out and you won’t regret it!
Did you know? By opening the recipe on Yum, you are able to see the recipe in US measurements 🙂
- 30 g of raisins
- 1 tsp of rum *
- 1 tsp + 1 tbsp of water
- 50 g of butter
- 1 egg
- 50 g of caster or brown sugar
- 70 g of flour
- ¼ tbsp of vanilla extract
- A sprinkle of lemon zest
- 50 g of dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Put the raisins in a bowl with the rum and the water and let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Melt the butter, put it in a bowl and whisk it with the egg and the sugar until the batter will be whitish and frothy.
- Add the flour passing it through a sieve, the vanilla extract and the lemon zest and mix well.
- Chop the dark chocolate and add it to the batter together with the soaked raisins with their water.
- Cover a baking sheet with baking paper and drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls well apart from each other onto baking sheet. **
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve with a glass of cold milk!
** As these cookies spread out very much, make sure to leave abundant space between them and the sheet borders. If you sheet doesn’t fit all the dough, bake the cookies in two rounds.
The beautiful rings I’m wearing in these pictures are handmade from LyndyLouDesigns, a talented designer from Georgia, United States. Here’s her Etsy shop!